Wednesday, August 6, 2008

The Pothunters - P.G. Wodehouse

I have been on a Wodehouse-early-school-series-books spree. And with “The Pothunters” I am all done!

This book too, like all others (Prefect’s Uncle, Gold Bat, Head of Kays, White Feather) is extremely rough. In fact it is probably the roughest. Though Head of Kays would be in contention as well.

The book is about some sports prize-cups which get stolen from a school. And though Wodehouse does throw in other sub-plots he doesn’t let them bloom at all like he does in his later works. What results therefore is a mesh of loosely held strings, none of which are fully unraveled through the book.

Characters are unnecessarily thrown in and they sporadically come and leave the story. The humour is atypically missing and while the writing style is true to the Wodehouse books, it doesn’t make up for the other flaws of the book.
So much negativity coming from a true P.G. Wodehouse fan… it leaves me with a heavy heart. But if you are not a P.G. Wodehouse fan then there is absolutely no reason for you to read this book. Me… I enjoy these short tales from P.G. Wodehouse. They gave me a lot of relief from the truck load of work pressure I was under during the days which I would conclude with a few pages from this book. So, on a personal note, I owe The Pothunters big time for making me forget that work trauma. And even though my days were hellish… I went of to sleep with that smile which usually follows on reading about the cheek of early 1900s English School Boys

No comments: