Sunday, February 22, 2009

Night Train at Deoli and Other Stories - Ruskin Bond

Short stories, since I was in school, have always had a special appeal for me. I loved reading English Text books because all they had were short stories and poems. I do wish I had preserved those books.
Anyways, Ruskin Bond, in the introduction to this book, claims his love for short stories as well, and admits unabashedly his unwillingness, and inability to write the more adrenalin generating stories. And most endearingly begins his introduction with, and I quote:

Gentle reader,

I use the old fashioned term to address you, because I like it, and because I know only the more gentle kind of person is likely to care much for my stories.


That captures for you, the tone and the heart of the book. Each of the story has something poignant about it which will touch your heart. And yes, if that kind of writing is boring for you, keep your hands off it. But there is a message about humanity in each of the stories. And really, you don’t have to be extra-sensitive or extra-intellectual to get that message.
I have always believed that the kind of stories Ruskin Bond writes, are best suited to the shorter version, that much he too believes. The problem is that a whole bunch of writers don’t get that and end up writing whole novels on this theme, which are invariably slow and boring.
A lot of the stories are autobiographical in nature. But not all of them. And Ruskin Bond covers a wide range of human life through the stories, including writers, of course, thieves, flute players, army people, commercial sex workers, and a lot of children. Nothing is too dramatic in any story. Rather, there has been no attempt to put drama in anything. It is a very simple, heart touching narration.
My favourite story, undoubtedly, is “The Boy who Broke the Bank” which I had also read during my school days. And it carries as much charm for me today as it did when I was twelve. That’s Ruskin Bond for you. He takes you away to the hills, amongst gentle breeze and flowers, and from there to an overpowering flood, and then to a waterfall where lovers might escape the wicked eyes of the world… all of it, in one book. And even if not all stories are fantastic, the book as a whole is immensely enjoyable.

No comments: